Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 24: A Crisis Moment

Hey everybody.  It's penultimate day as one of my favorite professors used to say.

Today, as I do every year, we're going to watch Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.  He's a knight, so you'd better listen to him.

But, I want to talk about why we’re here.  What are you doing here?  And you're not here with me, especially since we're in this virtual class, but you are at Clemson.  Why?  You're going to spend nearly 100,000 dollars and 4 years (or 5 like I did) to get a degree.  Then what?  This is one interesting thing that you can do with 100,000 dollars and four years of your time, but you could do lots of interesting things, you could build an orphanage in Uganda, you could start your own business, you could do lots of things.  Now, I haven't had a student drop out of school yet, but school as a concept has been limiting to a lot of folks.  You're here to pay to learn something.  And that's fine.  I just want to make sure you're doing what you want to be doing.  It's good to question this investment, and ask yourself what you think you're doing here.  College isn't for everybody; our culture just thrusts people into it after high school so that...



Well, let's listen to Sir Ken.

 



Interesting, right?  My good friend Mark Twain is known for having said: "Never let school get in the way of your education."  I heartily endorse that message.  This time is for you.  Use it.


So, today your daily assignment is for you.

Write a letter to yourself.  Handwrite it.  Don't post it to your blog.  This is for you and you alone.

Tell yourself what you're doing here at Clemson, spending this money, and this time.  Take a minute and seal it up.  Put it someplace safe--your sock drawer.  And when you graduate, whenever that is, take it out and read it.  Remember what your doing and why you're doing it.  

Otherwise, finish up your multimedia assignments in your groups!  Let's make them due on  our examination day rather than the last day of class along with your two page reflection papers on the projects.  So, instead of tomorrow, you've got until Friday night at midnight to finish up those beautiful little projects.  I can't wait to see them.




I suspect that you'll let us know a trailhead someway... somehow...
In otherwords, post them to your blogs and e-mail them to me.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I actually showed that video my mom, who is a teacher, and she showed it to her principal and they used it in a workshop or something of the sort.

    ReplyDelete